Monday, October 18, 2010

Farewell, Harry Potter!

By Vivian
Feb. 2008

*****SPOILER ALERT******
If you haven't completed reading Harry Potter Series and still want to keep the ending a secret for you, please skip this article.
*****SPOILER ALERT******

I met Mr. Harry Potter at the age of 21. I had no special feeling about this little shabby kid at the first sight. However, after I spent several days in Hogwarts with him, I decided to be his friend (despite that I am a little bit older as a friend of a eleven years old boy). And till now I have been a loyal friend for seven years.
In this seven years, we grew up together although we are in different places. He and his friends were learning to be a witch and wizard in Hogwarts while I and my other friends were struggling against different kinds of mechanics in TJ. I always burst into gales of laughter when I found an exact duplicate in reality for the professors in magic world. It's my dream to own an invisibility cloak so that I can sleep or read novels in class without fear of being caught, haha. His days in Hogwarts are so amazing that I always hoped there was a 9-3/4 platform in SH Train Station.
The first three years in Hogwarts were the most precious time for Harry and all of his friends including me. The bizarre classes and teachers, the exciting adventures, and the breath-taking fighting with Voldemort are attractive. At that time, I didn't have any worry. I believed that the dark side can never win the bright side and my friends would take risks but they would be safe eventually. No matter how evil and strong Voldemort is, all good guys can survive and smile in the end, like in any other children literature, right?
But it turned out I was wrong. Harry was in real danger later on. One by one, his friends lost their lives for him. Life became cruel. My young friends had to face various bothers and pains coming from adult magic world. Some from evil death eaters and stupid politicians, some from the double sides of Order members and even someone who he respects so much, some from himself as an arrogant and angry teenager in adolescence. To be honest, I really didn't enjoy two miserable years in "The Order of the Phenix" and "The half-blooded prince" . It was sort of messy. The love story of Harry and Cho was cheesy like QiongYao's novel. Don't even mention Dumbledore's fatal mistake! How can I imagine the death of our sagacious headmaster!!!!
True friends never give up. I can understand Harry's feeling. There are too many things to bear for a boy at his age. I kept my loyalty and followed him on his long way to destroy all Horcruxes. I would say this time Harry didn't disappoint me. After experiencing terror and heartbreak, making fool and mistake, he got matured. He learned how to control his mind and resist irrational instincts. He got courage to sacrifice himself and strong heart to be a true leader. The bright side finally won, with the cost of so many heroes' sacrifices.
I like the happy ending. Harry got married and became a father. He has a good family and a bright career. And his children will begin their new adventures in Hogwarts, but, in a much safer mode. In a new world, everybody is happy ever after.
Everybody is a Harry Potter in his/her heart, I believe. We suffered from our plain life when we were so young. Each of us wanted to be a special one, The One-who-lived, the One who is destined to be a hero. However, the reality always tough us lessons which may cause us to question ourselves "Am I really the One? Can I succeed?" There would be a tough time, a really tough time. After that, we grew up. We understand something about life, about love, about pain, about the true meaning of "the One". Everybody can be his own hero, as long as he finds his goal to fight. Being a special one for ourselves, we form a family, got a job, live a normal but happy life, just like my friend, Harry Potter.

No comments:

Post a Comment